Family-Based Immigration

Family Immigration

Tran Law Group — U.S. Immigration Lawyers

Our firm appreciates the importance of family and the opportunities we have to help bring and keep families together, here in the United States. Schedule a free consultation with us to discuss some of the various family immigration needs that our attorneys can help you with.

Here are a few of the areas that we help families in:

Family Immigration Visas

Our firm can help you to obtain fiancé(e) visas (K-1 visas), visas for the children of fiancées (K-2 visas), visas for foreign spouses and their children (K-3 and K-4 visas), visas for parents and siblings, visas for family members of investors (E-2 visas) and more.

Can you get a green card for a family member?

If you have a green card or are a United States citizen, you can petition for an immediate family member to come, live and work legally in the United States. This process is often referred to as petitioning or sponsoring a family member to get their green card. If a family member is already in the U.S. with a nonimmigrant visa such as the H1-B, filing a petition for an adjustment of status on their behalf can help them remain in the United States legally.

In order to be a sponsor or petitioner, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be either a United States citizen or a lawful permanent resident (have a green card) of the United States and be able to provide documentation proving your status.
  • You must prove that you can support your relative at 125 percent above the mandated poverty line. If you cannot show this financial support based on your income alone, you can have a co-sponsor under certain circumstances.

How does the process work?

The sponsor or petitioner must first file Form I-130 with the U.S. government. Once this petition is approved by the USCIS, an immigrant visa must be available before the application can continue. This is because the United States Department of State uses a visa quota system. This system operates by category preferences depending upon the relationship you have with the sponsor. This quota system applies to everyone, either inside or outside the United States who is applying for a green card.

Is consular processing an option?

Generally yes. Although the consular process abroad can be quicker and easier to accomplish, it is governed by the rules of the Department of State and not USCIS. As such, it may not be beneficial for every case. Individuals already inside the United States can opt to use consular processing as an alternative to filing for an adjustment of status, but each case should be evaluated on its own merits and facts. Also, keep in mind that a denial for adjustment of status can be appealed whereas denial at a U.S. consulate cannot.

Professional, affordable immigration help for
clients in the United States and from around the world

Our firm offers free initial consultations and provides quality legal services to people in California, throughout the United States and from around the world.

If you have other questions about family-based immigration issues and would like to speak with one of our attorneys — call us in Garden Grove, CA, at (714) 702-1437 or, contact us online with a brief description of your family immigration needs.

Hablamos Español — Chúng Tôi Nói Tiếng Việt