Visa Types

United States Visa Categories

Tran Law Group — U.S. Immigration Lawyers

Our firm helps individuals and businesses throughout California, the United States and the world to obtain a wide range of U.S. visas, including:

B-1 and B-2 Visas: Also known as “visitor visas” for purposes of business or pleasure — these visas are typically issued for periods of six months to one year.

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

The United States’ visa waiver program currently allows the citizens of 27 specific countries to enter the U.S. without having to obtain a visa if they are going to be here (on business or for pleasure) less than 90 days and meet other eligibility requirements. Beginning in January 2009, individuals seeking to enter the United States without a visa will be required to register themselves online before their actual departure.

EB Visas:

  • EB-1 Visa: Persons who have extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics; persons who are outstanding professors or researchers; and, persons who are managers and executives subject to international transfer to the United States are eligible for this category. Persons of extraordinary ability do not require a job offer from a U.S. employer or a labor certification.
  • EB-2 Visa: Persons who are professionals with advanced degrees or persons with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business; persons who are advanced-degree professionals; and, qualified physicians who will practice medicine in an area of the U.S. which is underserved are eligible for this category
  • EB-3 Visa: Persons who are skilled or professional workers with bachelor’s degrees; persons who are skilled workers with at least two years of education or experience are eligible for this category. Persons who are unskilled workers also would qualify for this category.
  • EB-4 Visa: Religious workers and employees and former employees of the U.S government abroad are eligible for this category as “Special Immigrants.”
  • EB-5 Visa: Persons who will be starting and/or operating a business in the United States or who will be investing at least $500,000 to $1 million in the United States are eligible for this category as immigrant investors.

F-1 Visas: These visas are nonimmigrant visas that allow foreign students to pursue educational opportunities in the United States.

H1-B Visas: Persons who will be working temporarily in the United States as a professional in a specialty occupation, or as a fashion model of distinguished merit and ability, may apply for this visa. There are a maximum of 65,000 H1-B visas granted every year.

As defined by U.S. immigration law, a specialty occupation is one that requires at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent as well as specialized knowledge. Examples of some specialty occupations are architects, engineers, upper level business managers, physical therapists, accountants, teachers and lawyers. This is not a complete list and many jobs would qualify as a specialty occupation.

The L Visa Category: These visas include the L-1A, the L-1B and the L-2. Persons who are or have worked as a manager, executive or in a position requiring specialized knowledge outside of the United States and are now seeking to perform the same job for the same company in the United States are eligible for the L-1 visa type. Many international companies use the L visa to transfer their executives, managers and employees in positions utilizing specialized knowledge to the U.S. Spouses and children of these workers are eligible for the L-2 type.

Can you extend the term of a visa or obtain an adjustment of status? While it is always advisable to say “it depends” — many U.S. visas can be extended. Visa holders can apply to obtain adjustments of status and green cards.

Professional, affordable immigration help for
clients in the United States and from around the world

If the type of visa you’re interested in is not listed above don’t worry — chances are we can still help you with whatever immigration need you have.

Schedule a free consultation with us and a Tran Law Group lawyer will discuss the right visas services for your needs.

Hablamos Español — Chúng Tôi Nói Tiếng Việt